My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Thanks for stopping by, please come visit my new wedding blog, The Unbride or my photography blog. And while you're there, leave a comment, I love comments!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

MARY POPPINS

Saturday night Jessie came over to eat some of my special quesadillas and homemade guac with us. I also made margarita mix from scratch, meaning fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice and a bunch of splenda. Plus some Cuervo and cointreau....yum yum yum!

We were planning to head out to see a movie afterwards until Gary found that a sing-a-long version of Mary Poppins was playing at the El Capitan movie theatre. So, we scooped up Conroy and headed over. En route Jessie and I discovered that we both have the same weird breathing issues and back problems. We are just kindred spirits, I think. :)

El Capitan is this big old theatre in Hollywood where the seat springs cut into your back and behind but overhead is this huge amazing dome ceiling that makes you feel like a part of cinema history. It really is pretty incredible. The screen is even covered by a big curtain just like in the old days.

The most fascinating part of this show was the fact that a real live Mary Poppins came out at the beginning to scold the audience a bit and to introduce the movie. Spit spot.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (gotta love the camera phone)
Then throughout the movie, every time the characters break into song, lyrics appear at the bottom of the screen so that the audience can sing along. This made me realize how many incorrect lyrics I have been singing all these years. Like "toppins" is actually "tuppence". I'm sure this is something I could have figured out if I had thought about it but how often do you really re-analyze movies from your youth. I still remember watching Dirty Dancing and thinking "oh, Penny is sick and needs a doctor". I don't remember ever questioning what "knocked up" actually meant. Anyway, I also found Mary Poppins to be surprisingly dirty for a Disney movie from the 60's. Like when Mary sings to Burt about how he "never presses the issue". Hmm. Gary also pointed out to me a rather obvious sign in the foreground during that scene that lays it right out there, it says very blatantly, "Teas". Add an "e" to the end of that and that's Mary Poppins for you for sure. She also struck me as being terribly self-important and arrogant. I don't think I would enjoy her in real life...although I did have fun belting out the songs in the theatre. There's always something weird to do on a Saturday night in L.A....or any night of the week for that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter since 2/11/07